Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sandy - Mixed Brand Scrapping


A topic that's often discussed on scrapbooking forums is : how to  mix papers and embellishments from different manufacturers on a layout ? I'll share my method with you using this 8.5"x11" page, inspired by fellow Singaporean designer Sasha Farina, as an illustration.


 
My starting point is the photo. Here it's a beach scene from Echo Park's Everyday Eclectic collection. I identify it's main colours - pale blue from the sky, deeper blue from the sea and pale orange from the beach umbrella. Next comes the process of picking papers from my supplies that fit this palette.   



I went first with a Pink Paislee, perfect as a quiet background with a subtle star burst to help anchor the photo. Then I choose an MME whose blue echoes that of the star. Now comes an unusual choice :  Crate Paper Random with it's tone-on-tone navy blue butterflies. The gently diminishing size of the butterflies, arranged diagonally, is suggestive of waves to me. It's b-side also provides a useful orange stripe that pairs well with another Crate Paper, this time in a check pattern. The final choice is a Simple Stories border at the top which repeat the colours of orange and navy.



At this point the structure of the page comes together and I'm ready to embellish. The title in orange alphas balances the large pennant on the left. Two spots of yellow, the bling on a sequin and the 'best vacation' subtitle, forms the apex of a visual triange. For contrast I added brown to the page in the form of a woodgrain tab and kraft tags, and a crystal spiral to recreate the sparkle of sunshine on white sand.



That's my approach to mixing supplies on this vacation page with a detachable mini-book. If you regularly combine different brand on your page, I'd love to hear how you go about it. If you are a single-collection scrapper, I hope this post inspires you to try a little mix-brand scrapping. Hope to finish the rest of the mini-book by the end of this month and to share it with you then.

cheers, Sandy

 
Supplies : Crate Paper Random Modern , Crate Paper Toy Box Sports , Echo Park Everyday Eclectic Journaling Cards, Echo Park Note to Self Borders, MME Nostalgia 6x6 paper pad, MME Indie Chic Travel Layered ChipboardRelax Stickers,    Teresa Collins World Traveler Stamp, Kaisercraft After Five Rub Ons, Craft Bitz Crystal Stickers Silver Symbols, Bazzill Kraft Cardstock & Navy Cardstock, Cosmo Cricket Social Club Rhinestones, MME Miss Caroline Like Ledger, Divine Twine Oyster, sequin, Studio Calico Chevron, Jillibean Sweet & Sour Soup Shredded Cabbage, Pink Paislee Starlight Bright, Simple Stories Happy Day Let's Party, American Crafts Smokey Joe's Alpha Stickers, Cosmo Cricket Nutmeg Sticker, paper clip


3 comments:

  1. Again Sandy this is stunning!! Love the clean fresh look you have given it. Almost makes me wish I did LO's!! You notice I said almost! Betsy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab blog post! Thanks Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy you can totally do LOs ! Since I started this year, I'm completely captivated with how creatively challenging and engaging it is.

    ReplyDelete