Friday, October 19, 2012

Liz's Christmas Box Tutorial

Hi everyone! Liz here with a tutorial for you.

There's been lots of interest in the box I created in card class last week. So many of the locals have asked for information on how I designed it. I was just inspired by the pizza box in front of me - so I can't exactly say it's original! The box was supposed to hold the card that we were going to make in class, but then I had a bright idea and decided to put the card on top of the box and leave the inside for choccies....!!

The box is really simple. So join in any time! Here's a ROUGH template I've just thrown together before I head out the door for the long weekend!



Cut card to 8" x 12" and lay longways. Score down at 1" and 7"
Turn card sideways and score at 7/8", 1", 6.5" and 7.5.
Cut as shown in the diagram.
Now cut 7/8" off the left and right edges of the flaps, and cut a triangle off each of the four flaps. This will help you close the box easier.

Fold up the box and make sure that it's going to behave!! Make any adjustments before you add tape! Now add tape onto the outer flap and on the back sides of the small flaps and fold up the box.

Now create the card using a 12' x 4" piece of Kraft Cardstock. Fold in half and ink around the edges. Cut patterned paper 5.25" x 3.75" then wet, roll and ink the edges and add centrally. (I've used paper from the new Simple Stories Handmade Holiday range for this box).

Find some corrugated card and trim to 4.5" x 3". Rip off the top layer to reveal the corrugations and then add ink to the top. Wrap ribbon around the cardboard and tie a bow to the lefthand side. Adhere to the card.

Cut 2 Mini Fanciful Flourish dies from green cardstock (I LOVE this die!!) and adhere them as shown in the picture.

Stamp the Book Frame Stamp set from Heartfelt Creations onto 2 pieces of music paper and then cut out with the matching Spellbinder die from Labels Seven. We sold out of the stamp set after class and so we have made them available for pre-order online. We still have some Labels Seven left and the larger Bookframe set (which I think I will have to also add to my stash!)

Wet, distress and ink both books and stitch through the books using the Sew Easy Piercer and a thin piece of jute twine. Add mounting foam in between the book pages and shape so it looks like an open book. Add to the card on top of the flourishes.

Add label with Merry Christmas Sentiment and then cut the small Nested Poinsettia flower out twice from Crimson Card (sorry it's been deleted from Spellbinders!). Use a Paper Shaper to create a flower with dimension and then a brad to hold the flowers together.


 
Add the card on top of the box, and decorate the inside ready for you to write a heartfelt greeting to a friend.

 Now complete the box with by punching out a trim with the Doily Lace Trim Punch from Martha Stewart (my new favourite!). Cut it up the middle and wrap around the box to complete the look. Fill with chocolates and give away!!



Mmm I wonder where my choccies went....



1 comment:

  1. Hi Liz :) what a fabulous box. I love the way you have created this piece. Thank you too for sharing the various steps to the project.

    Crafty hugs your newest follower Annie x

    ReplyDelete