Saturday, November 27, 2010

Joanne - Tree Decorations Kids Can Make!

Hi Everyone!!

This week I've decided to show you some decorations you can get your children/grandchildren involved in!

Microwaveable Salt Dough Decorations.

You will need:
  • 4 cups flour
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1 1/2 cups of hot water
  • Christmas cookie cutters
  • Rolling pin
  • Whatever you choose to decorate them with, paint etc
I have only used half on the mixutre here and I got over a dozen ornaments.

Mix the flour and salt, then add water and kneed into a dough. Roll it out and use cookie cutters to cut the shapes you want.

Dont forget to put holes in them for the string to hang them with. Make the holes a little larger than you think you will need as they tend to close up a little when cooked.


Now the directions I had found wernt very clear on how long to cook them in the microwave. I put about 5 flat on a dinner plate (dont put them on paper or plastic) and cooked them on high for 4 minutes, checked them, then cooked them for between 2-4 more minutes. Keep checking on them all the time.

One thing I must say is DO NOT leave the microwave while they are cooking please!! They burn very very quickly and I dont want any fires started. Most of mine were taking 4 minutes then another 4 minutes to cook but my last ones decided that 4 minutes and 2 minutes were enough and when I opened the door to check on them they were burnt and smoking, so please be very very careful!



After they are all cooked and cooled down you can decorate them however you wish! I havent decorated mine as I'm planning on giving them away as a little before Christmas craft :)


You could also use Embossing Folders to press a design into them before cooking and add food colouring to the dough.

Thanks for reading :)

2 comments:

  1. Great idea Joanne - I have never seen this before. My kids will LOVE making the dough themselves. Lowri :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! And I'm such a pro at burning things...

    ReplyDelete